Gravette, Arkansas is a small city located in Benton County, with a population of 2,325 as of the 2010 United States Census. It is situated in the Ozark Mountains and is surrounded by rolling hills and farmland. The climate in Gravette is characterized by hot summers and cold winters with temperatures ranging from an average high of 88 degrees Fahrenheit in July to an average low of 22 degrees Fahrenheit in January. See harvardshoes for main cities in Arkansas.
Gravette was founded in 1881 by William S. Gravett, a native of Missouri who settled there with his family. The town was primarily built on farming and agriculture until the early 1900s when the railway came through, bringing more industry and businesses to the area. In recent years Gravette has experienced a resurgence with its small-town charm attracting businesses such as restaurants, boutiques, antique stores, art galleries and more to its historic downtown area.
Politics wise Gravette leans heavily towards conservative values as reflected by its elected officials who are mostly Republican. In terms of economy most jobs in the area are based on farming or related industries such as food processing or production. There are also several small business owners operating out of their homes or local storefronts providing additional employment opportunities for residents.
The Gravette School District serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade providing quality education for all children within the district boundaries. Additionally there are several private schools located nearby offering alternative educational opportunities for parents looking for something different than what is offered at public schools.
Finally some notable landmarks within Gravette include The Old Town Hall which was originally built as a schoolhouse back in 1894; The Old General Store which has been operating since 1888; The Historic Cemetery which dates back to 1882; and The Big Spring which provides water for much of the town’s residents today just as it did when it was first discovered in 1881 when William S Gravett founded the city that bears his name today – Gravette Arkansas.
Population: 1,810. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,275 (+25.7% change)
Males: 842 (46.5%), Females: 968 (53.5%)
Zip code: 72736
Median resident age: 35.6 years
Median household income: $29,881
Median house value: $65,300
Races in Gravette:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.6%)
- American Indian (4.5%)
- Two or more races (3.2%)
- Hispanic (2.9%)
- Other race (1.0%)
Ancestries: Irish (14.9%), German (14.1%), English (9.1%), United States (6.7%), Dutch (6.3%), French (3.1%).
Elevation: 1219 feet
Land area: 2.3 square miles
Gravette, Arkansas is a small city located in Benton County, in the northwestern corner of the state. It is a rural community of approximately 5,000 people, with a median age of 33.8 years old. The racial makeup of Gravette is 95.6% White, 1.4% African American, 1.2% Native American and 1.5% other races. The population has grown steadily over the years, with the most recent census data showing that the population had increased by 5% since 2010.
The economy of Gravette is largely supported by agriculture and manufacturing industries and is home to several businesses in these sectors including food processing companies and automotive parts suppliers. In addition to these two industries there are also some service businesses such as health care providers and retail stores that provide employment opportunities for many of its citizens. Education is also important to Gravette; there are five public schools within its city limits as well as several private schools and one college in nearby Bentonville – Northwest Arkansas Community College (NWACC).
For population 25 years and over in Gravette
- High school or higher: 75.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 2.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gravette city
- Never married: 22.3%
- Now married: 53.8%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 14.5%
0.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +325 (+21.9%).
Hospital/medical center in Gravette:
- GRAVETTE MEDICAL CENTER HOSPITAL (1101 JACKSON STREET SW)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Gravette:
- BATES MEDICAL CENTER (about 16 miles; BENTONVILLE, AR)
- SILOAM SPRINGS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; SILOAM SPRINGS, AR)
- GROVE GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; GROVE, OK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gravette:
- NORTHWEST ARKANSAS RGNL (about 15 miles; FAYETTEVILLE/SPRINGDALE/, AR; Abbreviation: XNA)
- DRAKE FIELD (about 35 miles; FAYETTEVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: FYV)
- JOPLIN REGIONAL (about 51 miles; JOPLIN, MO; Abbreviation: JLN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gravette:
- CRYSTAL LAKE (about 7 miles; DECATUR, AR; Abbreviation: 5M5)
- SMITH FIELD (about 17 miles; SILOAM SPRINGS, AR; Abbreviation: SLG)
- BENTONVILLE MUNI/LOUISE M THADEN FIELD (about 18 miles; BENTONVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: VBT)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gravette:
- NORTHWEST ARKANSAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 16 miles; BENTONVILLE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,197)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS MAIN CAMPUS (about 35 miles; FAYETTEVILLE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 13,324)
- MISSOURI SOUTHERN STATE COLLEGE (about 47 miles; JOPLIN, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,569)
- NORTHEASTERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 50 miles; TAHLEQUAH, OK; Full-time enrollment: 6,610)
- PITTSBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; PITTSBURG, KS; Full-time enrollment: 5,566)
- WESTARK COLLEGE (about 86 miles; FT SMITH, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,472)
- DRURY UNIVERSITY (about 96 miles; Springfield, MO; Full-time enrollment: 3,125)
Public high school in Gravette:
- GRAVETTE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 321; Location: 607 DALLAS ST SE; Grades: 10 – 12)
Private high school in Gravette:
- GRAVETTE HOLINESS BIBLE SCHOOL (Students: 37; Location: 606 ATLANTA ST S E; Grades: 1 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Gravette:
- GLEN A. DUFFY ELEM. SCHOOL (Students: 512; Location: 601 EL PASO ST SE; Grades: PK – 03)
- GRAVETTE JR. HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 421; Location: 605 DALLAS ST SE; Grades: 07 – 09)
- GRAVETTE UPPER ELEMENTARY (Students: 367; Location: 500 8TH AVE SE; Grades: 04 – 06)